My girlchild and my mother really like cabbage rolls. Denise likes them too. I am indifferent toward them.
They aren’t at the top of my list, but not at the bottom. The pros are: aforementioned girlchild loves it. There will be leftovers. The family believes that I have cooked. It is time consuming, but relatively simple. (especially with the rice steamer–that way I can set it to run while running errands, housekeeping, or napping.
This can also be made ahead and frozen or refrigerated overnight, so you just have to pop it into the oven.
- 2 cups rice
- 2 cups water
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 teaspoons chopped garlic
- 1 tablespoon dry cilantro or parsley (or 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley or cilantro)
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 bag frozen meatless "crumbles"
- 2 cans tomato soup
- 1 can tomatoes
- 1 cabbage cored and leaves separated
- Combine onion, garlic, rice, and water in rice steamer. Set to cook on white rice setting. (or saute onion and garlic on stove, then cook rice in that pot. I just throw it all in the steamer)
- Stir in crumbles and spices when rice is cooked.
- Meanwhile, cook cabbage leaves in boiling water for 5-10 minutes
- Spray 9 x 13 pan with nonstick spray and preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Put layer of cabbage leaves on bottom of pan
- Add layer of crumble/rice mixture
- Mix together tomato soup and can of tomatoes.
- Spread on top of final layer.
- Bake at 350 for 1 hour or until heated through.