I’ve been informed that our history is being lost through adulteration of Rice Krispies treats. I find this a shame because I LOVE homemade (and homemade only) Rice Krispies Treats. Unfortunately, I tend to make a mess of it and I really only want one. I would love to figure out a “rice Krispies treat in a mug recipe.” Maybe I will play with that idea.
Anyhow, before the original recipe gets lost to time–here you go. How to Make REAL Rice Krispies Treats
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 (10 oz., about 40) pkg. regular marshmallows or 3 cups miniature marshmallows
- 6 cups Kellogg's Rice Krispies cereal
- In a large saucepan, melt butter over low heat. Add the marshmallows and continue to stir until the marshmallows have completely melted. Remove from heat.
- Stir in the Kellogg's Rice Krispies-coating them well with the melted marshmallow mixture
- Butter a 9 x13 pan REALLY well. Seriously. Butter well. Don't use spray. Use softened butter or margarine. This is what makes them so good.
- Butter a spatula or large spoon. Spread Rice Krispies Marshmallow mixture in 9 x13 pan. Smash them evenly in the pan.
- Cut into squares (using buttered knife) when they cool.