For most of my adult life, I have had a freezer. Once upon a time it was a giant chest freezer, that got left behind when I divorced. Then an upright freezer my mother bought me when we lived in Gainesville. It didn’t move with us. Then we had the “free freezer” from Jewel-Osco. It was a rather small chest freezer (5. something cubic feet maybe). It moved down here with us–but it died, somewhere between the defrosting or the move.
Anyhow, we have no freezer right now. We have a side by side refrigerator that is large, but odd. So, I am back to pondering freezers. I am unsure if I want to go with another chest freezer OR with an upright freezer.
Here are the considerations:
- This is a household of women. We top out at 5’4″
- I hate diving to the bottom of a chest freezer–but the upright ones don’t seem to hold enough.
- There are only 3 of us full-time now
- We tend to stockpile when we find things on sale
- We don’t live just down the street from a “real” grocery store anymore.
- But, we also aren’t Costco/Sam’s Club people at this point
- GARDEN! Farmers Markets! Produce.
- Entertaining (Seems like we might be doing some of that “now that we have friends”)
- I want self-defrosting–because I hate defrosting freezers.
- We don’t have an ice maker on our freezer–well, we do, but it doesn’t work and I find we have increased ice needs for some reason here. This means bag ice OR we need to get one of those stand-alone ice makers. Or something.
- I would really like something energy efficient.
So what do you recommend? Chest? Upright? Brand? Have I forgotten something? Do you know a great deal? Organizational tips?