We had strawberries with dinner tonight, just simple sliced and sugared berries. They weren’t fantastic, they were just strawberries. In thinking about what I would have rather made from them–likely a strawberry shortcake (biscuits, of course)– I flipped open my volume of Favorite Recipes of America–Desserts (1966) and while pondering strawberries, I found something that made me giggle.
No strawberries at all. It does have a bottle of Maraschino cherries in it. Since we found two open jars in the fridge clean out this weekend, I think it will be on the menu. Soon. Despite the name.
It is somewhat like a trifle recipe I enjoy making from time to time. And let us get real–it isn’t going on the menu despite the name: I am adding it to the menu because of the name. One day soon I will wake up and say “Let’s Whang Doodle tonight!”
- 2/3 lb vanilla wafers, ground
- 1/4 lb butter
- 2 c. sifted powdered sugar
- 2 eggs, separated
- 1 tsp vanilla flavoring
- 1/2 pint heavy cream
- 1 no 2 can crushed pineapple, well drained
- 1 sm. bottle Maraschino cherries, chopped
- Sprinkle one half of the wafer crumbs on bottom of 8 x 10 inch baking dish.
- Mix creamed butter, powdered sugar and egg yolks; beat until light.
- Add beaten egg whites and vanilla.
- Spread mixture over crumbs.
- Whip cream.
- Add pineapple and cherries.
- Spread over the first layer.
- Sprinkle with remaining crumbs.
- Refrigerate 12-24 hours. Do not freeze.