So, some of you may wonder what happened with my “Very Vegan Menu Plan” since I stopped updating day 3. Well, after Day Three, I had a bit of vegan meltdown. We did have veggie burgers, vegan kebabs, burritos, pizza, Vegan Eggs Benedict, Vegan Red Hot Jello, vegan green bean casserole (a total win) a Tofurkey that was stuffed (and really, quite tasty), Chili Mac, and the creamy chickpea salad. All were pretty yummy. The vegan chili mac–too spicy but my fault entirely. No snickerdoodles vegan or otherwise were made. The other vegan cookies were a huge hit.
Denise actually cooked ALL of Christmas Dinner…except the pumpkin pie–made by RJ. After a much needed nap, I spent a good part of the afternoon with my mother, the big kids and Joseph at the nursing home visiting my sister.
Child went home impressed with the effort though a few vegan mistakes were made. Vegan Eggs Benedict was made entirely vegan (even though vegan Canadian bacon was nowhere to be found so we subbed vegan “bacon” which vegetarian boy said was even better than the vegan Canadian Bacon) but as she finished her last bite, she asked if I had used the special English Muffins. Special? Uh there was only one type so…no, there were special ones that were elsewhere. Oops. I wanted to weep a bit because I had already fussed and muffed and covered up a muff with the vegan holiday sauce. (I had used the vanilla soy instead of unflavored so had to add salt to balance it out) There was whey hidden in one of the v*g products we picked up at Trader Joe’s. Then on NYE-she did the unthinkable–she ate a piece of fried cheese. hmph.
1. Nutritional Yeast impossible to find except the icky kind in the Whole Foods bulk spice section.
3. Remembering that I get cranky without processed carbs and milk protein. (Leading me to wail at one point when Denise came home from the store “what do you mean you didn’t buy bread????” Surrounded by food in the house, I was starving. Yeah, I know, my choice and dumb but sigh.
4. Quinoa flakes-impossible to find. Do they even exist?
5. What WAS I thinking planning a lasagna three days from Christmas and a few hours after picking up boy from the airport?
6. Kale goes bad.
7. Jimmy John’s was called one night.