It is Meatloaf Monday again. I won’t torture Liz with another Turkey Loaf right away…so how about this lovely, truly yummy meatloaf that includes some of the season’s best foods. Substitute the word ketchup with sauce if your mental picture of ketchup is red and comes in a shapely bottle.
Heart Smart Pilgrim Meatloaf
Spicy Pumpkin Ketchup
1-1/2 cups canned pumpkin
1 medium onion, finely chopped
1/2 cup cider vinegar
1/2 cup applesauce
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
4 tablespoons light brown sugar, packed
1/2 teaspoon curry powder
1 cup water
1 -1/4 pounds extra-lean ground beef
3/4 cup rolled oats
1/3 cup chopped onion
1 cup skim milk
1 egg white
Boston lettuce leaves
Whole fresh cranberries
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly oil a 9x5x3-inch loaf pan
2. Combine the ingredients for ketchup in a medium saucepan. Simmer over medium-low heat for 1 hour. Measure out 1/2 cup for recipe and place the remainder in the refrigerator.
3. In a large bowl, combine all the ingredients for meatloaf, including 1/2 cup spicy pumpkin ketchup. Blend well.
4. Press the meat mixture into the prepared pan.
5. Bake the meatloaf for 1 hour or until done; drain any excess grease. Let the loaf sit for 10 minutes. Remove the meatloaf to a lettuce-lined platter. Garnish with cranberries. Serve with Spicy Pumpkin Ketchup.
Source: The Great American Meatloaf Contest Cookbook, 1994