The other thing I have been craving lately: asparagus. Unfortunately for me, my family prefers unadorned asparagus. Steamed in the microwave, lightly boiled stove top, that is their delight. I did have some success with an asparagus /mushroom fritatta on Saturday morning though. (Don’t worry…it was a fritatta just because I didn’t feel like dealing with omelette flippin g or getting out something to put the sauteed asparagus and mushroom on while I did the eggs.)
I however, prefer a nice asparagus casserole (sorry to the “Don’t drown your food” crew out there) …like this one. I am wondering if the Joel Higgins might not be the Joel Higgins the actor. If so, maybe I can use that to entice a child to try it.
Joel Higgins Asparagus Casserole
2 pounds fresh asparagus (or 4 cups cooked asparagus)
4 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons flour
2 cups milk
¼ teaspoon ground salt and pepper
4 hard boiled eggs
½ cup cracker crumbs
- Put asparagus in pot. Add butter, flour and salt and pepper
- Add the milk, and boil, stirring until thick.
- Layer the eggs and the asparagus mixture in a lasagna pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.
- Sprinkle with the cracker crumbs and serve.